Search This Blog

Friday, June 8, 2012

Teaching our daughters to love and respect themselves

Check out this website, for building self-esteem in your daughters
Toolkit & Resources for The Dove® Movement for Self-Esteem

When I was growing up, I had horrible self esteem and body image issues, that carried on well into my twenties and then again since I have been in my 30's. I have finally started to love and respect myself. I have also learned to forgive myself for all of my mistakes, with God's strength. I didn't feel pretty, and I didn't feel worthy of much. I was called fat by someone very, very close to me, among other things. I swore I would never do that to my kids, because it affected me more than anyone will ever know. Now that I am at peace with myself, and have become a confident woman, it is time for me to instill confidence in my daughters. I want them to be strong, confident women, and I don't want them to reach that confidence when they reach their 30's, like me. My oldest daughter is already worrying about her weight, not because anyone that has been a role model in her life has told her so, like with me, but maybe more because of how society views a beautiful, confident woman. I want my daughters to know that they are beautiful inside and out, and that the most important beauty comes from within. With God's guidance and direction, I hope to instill that in them. I don't want my daughter to see herself in any way but a positive one. This social mission that Dove has started is a wonderful way to reach out to your daughters and help them to build good self-esteem and body image. It has different activities you can do with your daughters, advice, discussions, and a classroom you can visit. I know God and this site will help me and my mom instill these wonderful values in these girls, I hope you all find it useful. Remember, that we don't want our kids to have bad self-esteem issues, it's never too late to start trying to instill confidence in them. I wish you all a happy and fun-filled weekend, with god at the center. God bless you all and Talk to you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What kind of things do you do to help you live a happy, fulfilling life? I would also love to hear your feedback and any questions you may have for me!